Chrysorrogiatissa Monastery is located 40 Km northeast of Paphos, set in beautiful surroundings in the forest of Troodos. The Monastery is dedicated to ‘Our Lady of the Golden Pomegranate’. It was originally established in 1152 AD by monk Ignatios. According to popular belief, monk Ignatios found a miraculous icon of Virgin Mary off the shore of Pafos, which had been thrown into the sea shores of Asia Minor during the iconoclastic controversy and was carried by the waves to the shores of Cyprus. The monastery was established in order to honour the miraculous icon.
The monastery was restored at the end of the 18th century, around 1770 AD. The present single - aisle church is built on the foundations of an older church. Visitors will admire fine frescoes above the three entrances of the church. Another important feature of the monastery is a collection of important icons and treasures. The old winery, housed within the premises of the monastery, produces some of the finest wine in the region. On August 15th, an impressive religious ceremony is held at the monastery.
Tel: +357 26 722 457
Oppening Hours: 09:30 - 12:30, 13:30 - 18:30 (May - August)
10:00 - 12:30, 13:30 - 16:00 (September - April)