Kamares Aqueduct is a construction that dated back to the 18th century and was built in order to supply Kition and the surrounding areas with water. There are three series of arched constructions widely known in Cyprus as "Kamares" which means arches. The first construction is located along the southeast exit from the town of Larnaca towards Limassol. It is the most prominent among the three series at 300 meters of length. There is another one at 2 kilometers straight from the first one and a third one at the northwest of Dromolaxia village. The third series of arches is the lower one.
The aqueduct was constructed in the 18th century during the Ottoman occupation in Cyprus. Historic data indicated that the Ottoman governor in Cyprus Abou Bekir Pasha ordered the construction of this water supply project and the work was curried out under the Cypriot dragoman Constantinos Christofakis. The works started in 1746 and was completed in 1748. Kamares aqueduct had its origins at the river Tremithos. In the beginning, the water was curried through an underground water channel which was accessible through several vertical shafts. Later the construction was upgraded to conduct water using channels and arcades. The aqueduct in its total length reaches 15 Km 8Km of which form the underground channel. At the point were the channel rose up to the surface there is a settling basin with an overflow. Several other settling basins and overflows are visible in other parts of the arched channel for water purification purposes from the debris carried with the water.
The water reached the Hala Sultan Tekke were a fountain was built. The arches also supplied two grain mills that worked with water. One of them is present with its ruins visible close to the third series of arches in Dromolaxia area. Closeby there is also a large basin that was used to purify the water from the debris and protect the mill. Seven other public fountains in key locations of Larnaca were supplied with water by the Kamares Aqueduct. Nowadays, only the fountain of Tuzla mosque and the fountain of the Kebir mosque, behind Larnaca fort, are present. What is remarkable is the fact that the Kamares Aqueduct and the two mill were in full operation until the early 1950's.